Why ATM card emails are always a scam

Articles to Educate You About And Learn How to Avoid 419 Scams
Caped Crusader
Site Admin

Unread post by Caped Crusader » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Assuming that you actually get here to this part, here's some reasons that an ATM card email is fake, aside from the fact that they are ALWAYS a scam.

If you have read about how to identify a scam email (which is here http://antifraudintl.org/threads/how-to ... email.176/) then in addition to things like bad grammar, poor spelling, even poorer punctuation, the use of free email servers, etc. these are some other things that make an ATM email completely bogus.

1. There is no ATM card for you.
Sorry if that sounds blunt but that's the way it is. There is never an ATM card. There is only a scammer/criminal who wants to steal your money. If you communicate with him you give him the chance to do that. If you delete the email you keep your money.

2. "We want to send you an ATM card".
Cool.

Why? If you want to pay me $1 million, send me a check. What do I want a card for that limits me to $5,000 a day? Send me a check and let's get this done NOW. I don't want to spend the next 6 months going to an ATM machine to get my money every day.

3. "We really want to send you an ATM card".
Exactly what did I do to deserve an ATM card anyway? Why am I supposed to get money?

4. "This card has a limit of $5,000 a day.
This is written by a stupid scammer who does not know that most ATM cards limit you to about $200 in cash withdrawals every day. No ATM machine at any bank anywhere is going to let you withdraw $5,000 a day. One million dollars at $200 a day would take more than 13 1/2 years for you to get all that money. So why would you do that? Wouldn't you want a check so you can get paid at one time? I sure would.

5. We have been mandated by the United Nations to pay this money.
No, they haven't. The United Nations does not "mandate" anyone to do anything. That is neither the function nor the purpose of the U.N. You have an email from a scammer. You can delete it safely because there is no money for you. (You might also want to look at "Why government emails are always fake" at http://antifraudintl.org/threads/why-go ... ake.10149/).

6. We are a bank so we want you to send money by Western Union.
Yeah what's with that anyway? If they're a bank, why don't they want you to just do a wire transfer? It's simple and easy. But of course, the answer is, you aren't dealing with a bank, you're dealing with a scammer/criminal who steals money. He can't have you send money to a bank because then he would have to show his real ID to get it. If you send money by Western Union he doesn't even need real ID to get the money. That's why criminals use Western Union.

A bank says to send money by Western Union? It's a scam so just delete the email.

7. We are in Africa and we want to send you money.
Yeah. Africans are just rolling around in so much cash they just want to give it away to people everywhere in the world instead of investing it in, oh...like...AFRICA or their own country.

Full Credit due to “Gentle Giant” of Anti-Fraud International - https://antifraudintl.org/threads/why-a ... cam.26759/

Stop 419 Scams and Scammers : Disclaimer